So, you have started a new health and fitness program and made it all the way through January. Then BOOM- the Super Bowl comes, with all of it’s snacks, sodas, and fried finger foods. Not to mention a party full of people who have long since abandoned their resolutions and cannot wait to talk you into doing the same thing.
Before you think about staying home, alone, and eating your pre-prepped clean foods, think again! You CAN and should enjoy going to parties while still working on your goals. Being able to find balance and enjoy life while eating well is CRUCIAL to your success and your ability to stick with a plan for better nutrition!
Here are my best tips to do just that! And a recipe for a super yummy and clean appetizer that even your non-healthy food loving friends will eat!
TOP 5 Tips for enjoying a party while working on your nutrition goals:
- Make and take a clean dish to the party. These meatballs are the perfect appetizer to share!
- Eat something before you go so that you do not arrive in a state of hanger and end up overeating. My favorite pre-party snacks include Shakeology, or a greek yogurt smoothie. You fill up on protein and nutrients and don’t go straight for the food when you arrive.
- Fill your plate with veggies and the most nutritious options. No one ever eats from the veggie tray at the party so I know there will be plenty of fresh veggies there for you! After the first fill up, enjoy a bite or two of the foods you want to taste, and leave the rest alone.
- Get busy doing something away from the food. Play a tailgate game, chat with an old friend, ask the hostess if you can help in any way. When you are busy socializing, you won’t be mindlessly munching.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. This helps you stay full and is great for flushing out toxins too!
Here is a great recipe to bring along! Stay tuned this week as I share more ideas for clean eating party foods that really taste great!
Buffalo chicken meatballs:
1 lb ground chicken
3 green onions, diced
1 tub of blue cheese crumbles
1 tsp garlic and herb seasoning
1 tsp dill seasoning
salt and pepper
1 cup greek yogurt
1/2 Cup Blue Cheese crumbles
Garlic and herb seasoning
Buffalo Sauce: ½ cup honey and ½ cup Franks red hot (do not buy the Franks Wing Sauce)
For the meatballs:
Combine the meat, egg, seasonings, ½ cup of blue cheese crumbles, and green onions in a bowl. Use a small scooper to make even meatballs about 1 tablespoon each. Lay a piece of foil on a baking sheet and place meatballs evenly apart. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the honey and Franks red hot. Let simmer until well combined. After meatballs are cooked, place them into a dish and cover them with the sauce.
Want clean blue cheese sauce? Combine greek yogurt with blue cheese crumbles and more garlic powder and dill. Use a little bit of milk to thin this and drizzle it over the meatballs or serve it on the side.